Automated echo measurement transfer from cardiac echo carts to hard-to-reach PACSs.
Measurements not coming over?
Modern Cardiac Ultrasound carts produce a comprehensive set of measurements. Echo PACSs, however, are not generally pre-configured to parse this new data. To wit:
- Implementations of the DICOM SR standard vary from vendor to vendor
- Existing import profiles only support older model carts from a small number of vendors
- Cart upgrades introduce additional measurements, each requiring unique compatibility adjustments
- Technologists spend valuable patient interaction time hand-entering measurements, exposing data to simple errors
Contrasting available features against the hard reality of manual data re-entry may lead you to consider semi-automated measurement collection, less feature, and more taunt.
We can help
(Way) back in 2011 we were approached by a cardiac instrument vendor to help solve exactly this challenge for their clients. The resulting product is a dedicated SR-to-SR gateway that:
- Retrieves both ASE standard and non-standard measurements from DICOM SR output
- Formats these collected measurements into widely-compatible SR templates
- Outputs these templates for storage into popular echo PACSs
Cardiology Gateway can do this for many brands of instruments, as well as most PACSs. It’s both our specialty and our pleasure to ensure yours are supported.
How does it work?
Cardiology Gateway (CGw) sits on your network where it is accessible from both your carts and your PACS:
- Your carts are configured to point to CGw instead of, or in addition to, the PACS, whereby,
- CGw receives and parses measurements from incoming DICOM SR pay- loads, and
- It creates compatible DICOM SR messages and transmits them along to the PACS.
- If CGw receives any instances that it cannot parse, it merely passes them along.
Properly formatted data
Cardiology Gateway data is correct:
- We have partnered with both vendors and clients to ensure that measurements are properly mapped into compatible fields.
- Unit conversions are handled automatically.
- The resulting set of measurements is as complete as it can be, and comprises the entire ASE set for Adult Echo studies (Paediatric templates are not standard, but available on request).
Does it void the PACS warranty?
No. The gateway is middleware. It requires no re-configuration of the PACS, and transmits over a compliant DICOM interface. From the perspective of the PACS, it looks just like another cart – except that it emits compatible structured reports.
How to get in touch.
If you think the Cardiology Gateway is the right tool for your needs, then please contact us and we will provide you with a time-limited demonstration copy.
- Many brands and models of DICOM SR-capable Ultrasound cart (please contact us for a list)
Supported PACS Systems
- Many cardiology PACS systems, including Xcelera, Heartlabs and Echo PAC
- US Storage SCU/SCP
- SR Storage SCU/SCP
- Verification SCU/SCP
- Windows executable, runs as a system service
- Receives instances as a Store SCP
- Converts DICOM SR measurements into compatible formats
- Transmits to PACS via a DICOM interface
- x86 or x64 CPU at 2 GHz minimum
- 2 GB memory for 32-bit and 4 GB for 64-bit operation
- Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, 8, 2003 Server, or 2008 Server
- 200 MB of storage, for binary and ﬁrst three years of log ﬁles
- TCP access to both modality and destination PACS systems